Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Fifties: Those Were The Days

My latest short story, "Laid to Rest" is set in 1957. I love the 50's and going back to that era is amazing. Today I'm going to share some of my research. Here are a few fun facts about the 50's:

Average gas price: 20 cents
Average income: $3500.00 yearly
Postage stamp: 3 cents
Average car price: $2500.00

Some Favorite TV shows:
Red Skelton
I Love Lucy
Dragnet
You Bet Your Life

Some Top Songs:
Your Cheatin' Heart
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Earth Angel
Hound Dog

Firsts in the 50's:

Super Glue
Diners: First Credit Card

Jukebox
Transistor Radio

Cartoon strip: Peanuts debuted in 1950

Mr. Potato Head: first toy ever advertised on TV

Hula Hoop

And one of the most popular icons ever made her debut in 1959. She was my favorite doll and she is still at the top!  Can you guess?   Barbie!

Do you remember any of these?  I don't remember gas ever being 20 cents a gallon!

Post by Patricia Preston

No comments: